Sunday, September 5, 2010

April and May 2010

April and May were a whirlwind adventure, but the highlights were pretty cool!

We got to attend a taping of "America's Got Talent", all because we follow a site called "Free in Chicago" on Facebook! We saw some really good acts, some amazing acts, and a couple of real duds. If anyone watched this season, the gentleman who looked like a pimp and tried to make a bird come out of his briefcase was a Chicago tryout. And fail. I was disappointed to see the young man who had an incredible opera voice eliminated in Vegas, because I truly think his talents would win over any audience. It did ours, for sure. One act they didn't show on TV: the kid who tried to make himself sneeze 20 times in less than a minute. Howie didn't dig this very much, but it got worse... the way in which he made himself sneeze was by sticking Q-Tips deep into his nose. GROSS. Howie actually left his judge's seat and walked down the aisle beside us and lobbied for everyone to turn away and not look at the kid. Howie and I totally made eye contact. And I agree with him: the act was disgusting. I'm kinda glad they didn't give that kid the acknowledgement of being on national TV. It was cool to see Howie protest his act, though.

We also got to attend our first Cubs game, after attending our first Sox game in January. VERY different experience, on a variety of levels. The Cubs won, the seats were amazing, and the company was wonderful. There will be more on the Cubs vs. Sox decision later...

Our first Broadway in Chicago show was one I've been wanting to see for at least a decade: STOMP. It was amazing... that is one talented group of performers! We got to see Avenue Q a week or later, so we learned the path to the Theater District downtown pretty well. Avenue Q was not exactly what I expected... kinda felt like pimped out, adult Sesame Street characters, which ruined my childhood heroes. I can see how the concept appealed to a particular audience, but I don't believe I was their target demographic on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment