Sunday, September 5, 2010

June 2010

June was an exciting month for us: we moved into a new apartment, adopted a kitten, and gained a new neighborhood to explore: Edgewater.

We love our new place, and feel as though we got a pretty good deal on a condo rental, inclusive of everything but cable (internet & phone) and electricity. As soon as we were mostly settled into our apartment (or, realistically, the weekend after we moved in) we adopted a Siamese mix kitten from PAWS Chicago. Her original name was Kashi, but it was clear that I was thinking of the cereal. So we changed her name to Georgia!

I have been volunteering at PAWS since March, while we were living in Lincoln Park. It has become more difficult for me to volunteer there, since I no longer live within 10 minutes of the adoption center, but I'm happy to have volunteered in such a terrific shelter. The cats and dogs live in rooms with one another, but are kept on separate sides of the building. I volunteered with the cat section, so I learned the most about how they were cared for. The cats are grouped by age, so the kittens aren't terrorizing the old guys, or by compatibility, as a room full of kittens was controlled by one slightly older, mother-like cat. The cats do NOT have any cages, but have mobility around a room about the size of a bathroom. You can walk by the center and see the cats in the windows as you walk by, and I made a habit of playing with them as I walked by as I bided my time. If you live in the Chicago area and are looking to adopt a cat or dog, PAWS is the place to go; you won't feel guilty for choosing just one animal!

More to come about Georgia-Cat, too...

No comments:

Post a Comment